Monday 3 October 2011

Element - New Front Cover


Above is the initial design of my new cover where I dismissed the idea of a second coloured block at the top as I decided it unbalanced the front cover. I also have resized my image for what was only an advert on the ears of my page, resizing it again through the use of technology and InDesign to quickly shift the design to put more emphasis on a Sport focus and section inside my paper. 

Below you can see where I attempted moving my logo which is the image of a piece of inspirational art where the newspaper would be distributed. The logo I felt appeared out of place on the right-hand side and instead the logo, when overlapping the word 'Element' as it does currently, concludes the Element as that brand. It creates a solid brand identity whilst freeing up crucial free space for adverts and for further space to expand stories.

These images represent the latest design of my front cover which following another in-depth look at the new style Evening Post and remembering my target audience I have decided to freshen up my cover, and give it hints of colour and new features that would give it an independent identity and brand. 

I have maintained my slogan and house style but have added to that house style by creating a striking cover revolved around an iconic and somewhat classic style masthead. There are still some gaps in terms of the correct logo, an ongoing process via Photoshop to recreate a similar image to the one already in place. I like the idea of the logo overlapping one or two of the letters from the masthead whilst a main news story inside is also clear through my original photo of my footballer , Lewin Nyatanga, which fits in to the style of a local newspaper. 

This human shot balances a page which is dominated by a main image from my cover story. I also plan to add further photos onto the page, with my travel advert which is already in place. Whilst adding a photo to my 'ears' at the top of the page. 

The coloured box which stretches across the page identifies a house style which will flow through the whole paper, into my inside page as well as posters. The price stands out in a stylish manner whilst the fonts remain classic yet engaging. The headline font still retains the conventions of a regular local newspaper whilst the masthead and other headlines lighten up the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment