Tuesday 30 August 2011

Font

The font as I have highlighted is crucial to my newspaper and brand that will follow through into my poster. I have selected a varying selection of newspaper titles from both national and local papers.
I already know my main case study uses a basic standard black font with serif lettering and this is likely to be a similar font I will use for the paper name.
Although for the inside headlines another font will be used and changed depending on the layout of the articles such as the size of font and the colour, perhaps black or grayscale.

The Western Daily Press is a local newspaper to the Bristol area although it's readership has lowered in recent years since the Evening Post has established itself as the number one paper in the area. The font is classic, in terms of the clear black font, and I like the personal 'WESTERN' which gives the paper an identity and location rather than just a name such as the 'Element' , the name of my newspaper. 

The Bristol Evening Post logo isn't black although remains fairly bland and it's this simple font that makes it's house style work. The font appears bolder and the lettes are more solid and heavier in appearance. They are block letters which gives the name and brand some emphasis and status, just through the logo. 

Similar to the Western Daily Press, the Manchester Evening News is a local paper to the Manchester area, an the logo represents this with the location, what it is, news and simply in a shaped standard serif font. 

This logo is from the Derby Telegraph and I like the bold black font with the italics enable the 'Telegraph' to take priority over Evening and its once again simple but effective. A recurring theme in the local newspaper logos. 

Taken from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, I like the logo as it uses a small amount of colour, something I am keen to incorporate in my newspaper, although perhaps not in the logo. The line underneath the name, gives a statement as well visually appearing, neat, smart and compact, perhaps alike the paper? A tidy logo.

A national paper, but with a black font? The broadsheet logo is iconic and this sort of font wouldn't be applicable to my paper purely because it belongs to the Telegraph and is commonly associated with that paper. The font is Olde English style and as my newspaper would be fresh and modern, it wouldn't reflect the context of my newspaper.

The Daily Mirror is another national newspaper, a renowned tabloid, a red-top, tagged as that due to its colour scheme and house style. This sort of font appears quite common although it's too tabloid orientated to appear as my logo, or anything similar. My newspaper also wouldn't be daily as the national papers are, instead 'the Element' will congregate the week's local news in a compact paper. 

The guardian, a broadsheet newspaper, recognised for its credibility. Perhaps it has something to do with the minimalist but stylish font and house style. I like the second tone 'the' with the word 'guardian' taking priority. One of my favourite examples, and this sort of font could certainly apply to the local newspaper as well. With a dash of colour. 

The Sun, arguably the most well-known tabloid newspaper, associated with the scrapped News of the World, that saga highlights the difference in a paper like the Sun with the guardian, although the font is classic. Bold. Clear. Bright. The Sun is highly successful and the colour scheme works for its target audience although it wouldn't for mine. A local paper as my questionnaire has taught me is contrasting to a tabloid, in what the reader wants, expects or is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment